Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Play It Again: Fashionable People

When was the last time you heard a song, and immediately listened to it a second time? I think when I was in high school, I might have done this for a Guns 'n' Roses (Locomotive) or Red Hot Chili Peppers' (I Could Have Lied) song, but I cannot recall a single recent time that I've actually wanted to hear something twice in a row.

Today, it happened.

I subscribe (and you should too) to the KCRW "Today's Top Tune" podcast, which is one free song per weekday downloaded straight to your computer via iTunes or whatever podcasting service you use. The public radio station, based in Santa Monica, California, has a wonderful selection channels and artists - everything from Tom Jones to The Cold War Kids to Natacha Atlas - that spans almost all genres (though there is a pretty distinct lack of electronic or hip-hop music).

Today it was Joel Plaskett Emergency, with their pop ditty "Fashionable People". It's a quirky (and timely) critique of "fashionable people doing questionable things", and it had me humming along and distracting me from doing database backups and playing freecell (admittedly not that hard).

No comments:

Post a Comment